Highlighting Local Politics and Dynasties
CHEERS TO ABS-CBN 2’s TV Patrol for shifting media focus on local politics, local governments and the political clans who rule these units of power.
TV Patrol‘s “Kampanyaserye (Campaign Series)” is a special segment dedicated to election related reports and stories. The series on January 11 started to look at the political landscape of some of the cities and towns in the Philippines run by politicians from the same families that have been in power for years.
As of January 20, the ongoing series had aired eight reports on local elections and political dynasties:
- “Kampanyaserye: Paano ang laro ng pulitika sa Pilipinas?” , January 11, 2016
- “Pamilya Ortega: 100 Taon sa Poder ng La Union” , January 12, 2016
- “Pamilya Ecleo ng Dinagat Island: Larawan ng karangyaan at kahirapan” , January 13, 2016
- “Pamilya Durano ng Cebu: Lokal na makinarya sa pambansang kampanya” , January 14, 2016
- “Kampanyaserye: Ang mga Duranos ng Cebu“, January 15. 2016
- “Maynila: Erap vs. Lim vs. Bagatsing“, January 18, 2016
- “San Juan: Nabuong pamilya, nabuwag na alyansa“, January 19, 2016
- “Halalan sa Makati: Peña vs. Binay, David vs. Goliath nga ba?“, January 20, 2016
While election-related reports have become the main staple in the news as the 2016 elections draw near, the national mainstream press has not been covering local politics as much as journalists should, given the power and autonomy of the local government units (LGU).