Surigao del Sur Radio Anchor Survives Slay Attempt
CMFR/PHILIPPINES- A radio broadcaster survived a slay attempt on 28 December 2018 in the municipality of Tago, Surigao del Sur. Surigao del Sur is 1,314 km south of Manila.
Joel Salinas Pimentel, 49, anchor of the news-commentary program “Radyo Bandera News Afternoon Edition” of Radyo Bandera 100.7 News FM in Tandag City, was onboard his motorcycle along the national highway in Purok Mangga, Barangay Purisima, Tago when he was shot at by two unidentified men. Pimentel was on his way home after his radio program, which airs Monday to Saturday from 5 to 6 p.m.
Pimentel told CMFR in a phone interview that one of the suspects was on a parked motorcycle on the side of the road while the other, who seemed to be a lookout, fired at him. He said the suspects seemed to know the exact time he would pass by them along the highway. Pimentel did not recognize the assailants as their faces were covered.
Pimentel has been working for Radyo Bandera Tandag since 28 October 2018. He was previously employed in other local radio stations and a community newspaper. Aside from anchoring Radyo Bandera’s afternoon news, Pimentel sometimes serves as a substitute host in the station’s public service programs.
Pimentel told CMFR that he has been discussing in his program the alleged involvement of Tago Vice Mayor Nicolas Laurente with local private armed groups. Pimentel said Laurente, who is running for mayor in the 2019 midterm elections, is violating the Omnibus Election Code, which prohibits the carrying of firearms.
Pimentel said he had been warned by a barangay councilperson in the morning of December 28 to be cautious. Pimentel also told CMFR that he had previously received a phone call from an anonymous person threatening him with a “plan” against him. He has informed the local police authorities of the slay attempt.
The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) Surigao del Sur Chapter condemned the incident, saying it was “another attack to threaten journalists of this province to deter them from making negative and unfavorable commentaries.”
Pimentel’s case was the latest attack against journalists in Surigao del Sur. On 24 October 2017, radio broadcaster Christopher Lozada of dxBF Prime Broadcasting Network was killed by unidentified men in the town of Bislig. Prior to the incident, Lozada said he had been receiving death threats from Bislig Mayor Librado Navarro, who has been found guilty of grave misconduct and ordered dismissed by the Office of the Ombudsman. (See: “Radio Broadcaster Shot Dead in Surigao del Sur”)
Leave a Reply